Gordon Wignall is an experienced common law practitioner whose main interest is in advocacy and other varieties of written persuasion. He has a special interest in areas of the law which are within the scope of EU law. This is reflected by his knowledge of various types of regulatory proceedings, especially in environmental and financial cases (including judicial review, tribunal and criminal matters). He is familiar with principles of EU law relevant to competition and state aid.
Gordon is particularly pleased to be able to draw on his experience in the many different forums in which he appears to the benefit of any of his clients. These include the Competition Appeal Tribunal, the First Tier Property Tribunal, the criminal courts, PINS tribunals, the civil courts and the Privy Council (in criminal appeals).
Gordon has been instructed for many years in various types of group litigation, including consumer redress schemes, financial services, private/public nuisance, professional negligence and sale of goods. This is enhanced by his recognised experience over many years in costs and litigation funding. Cases with an international element have included China, the Caribbean, Australia and various EU States. For 10 years he was a part-time employment judge. He qualified as a mediator with CEDR.
In litigation, Gordon’s preference is to work closely with both solicitors and clients as a team, advising and identifying the best evidence in order to provide the most robust advocacy. Whilst direct access work is undertaken in appropriate regulatory and advisory cases, a good solicitor can be sourced to take the strain when necessary. He has acted successfully for direct access clients under the terms of damages-based agreements.
To view in more detail Gordon’s experience, see the attached practice-specific profiles below:
Click here to download Civil & Commercial Law CV
Click here to download Financial Services Law CV
Click here to download Environmental Law CV
Click here to download Regulatory Law CV
New Online Resource
Gordon Wignall has published and maintains www.wiglaw.co.uk which currently carries open access articles on the law of nuisance.
SERVICES PROVISION INFORMATION
(1) Services to professional clients are offered on the most recent version of the terms available (a) on a contractual basis as set out on the Bar Council website, and (b) on a contractual CFA basis as set out on the Chancery Bar Association website. (2) Services to clients are offered on similar contractual terms to those offered to professional clients. (3) Gordon Wignall (a) has professional insurance with BMIF and top-up insurance provided via BMIF, and (b) is subject to the Code of Conduct in Part 2 of the Bar Standards Board Handbook, Part 5 of which sets out how to make a complaint if a complaint is not resolved internally. See also the Client Care section of Chambers’ website.
- MA (University of Oxford)
- Karmel Scholarship prizewinner (commercial law), Gray’s Inn
- Norman Tapp memorial prizewinner (mooting), Gray’s Inn
- Diploma in EU Law (King’s College London, 2014)
- Diploma in EU Competition Law (King’s College London, 2015)
- MA, EU Competition Law (King’s College London, 2016)