Doug has a diverse and complimentary practice, undertaking both advisory and litigation work in a range of courts, including the High Court (led and un-led) and the Court of Appeal (un-led).
Doug joined Chambers in December 2022 following the successful completion of his pupillage. He was supervised by Mark Watson KC.
Prior to the Bar, Doug trained as a solicitor at an international law firm where he gained a particular interest in all forms of regulatory practice, including health & safety and environmental work. He also spent a year as the judicial assistant to the Senior President of Tribunals, Sir Keith Lindblom, working on environmental and planning cases that came before the Court of Appeal.
Doug is qualified to accept instructions under the Public Access scheme.
- Advised on how to protect a Site of Special Scientific Interest from water pollution and drafted pre-issue correspondence to the Environment Agency (the “EA”).
- Advised on a complaint to the Office for Environmental Protection relating to the detrimental effects of poor water flow levels in protected rivers.
- Acted for a waste management company in proceedings brought against them for the alleged harming of a protected birds site and following legal argument the CPS withdrew the charges brought.
- Acted for a company in suspension notice proceedings brought by the EA. Following the drafting of submissions the EA withdrew the suspension notice.
- Assisted advising the EA on the Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) Regulations 2007 and parasitic liability.
- Regularly instructed in statutory nuisance claims, for both local authorities and defendants.
- Prosecuting junior in a food hygiene trial against a national supermarket in the Crown Court.
- Junior counsel in a Judicial Review claim relating to pet feed safety. Judgment is still outstanding.
- Assisted drafting grounds of claim in Judicial Review proceedings involving abattoir enforcement compliance.
- Acts for both directors and companies in proceedings brought by the Food Standards Agency for a variety of food safety offences.
- Acted for a claimant in a Part 8 disposal hearing where the court awarded specific performance of the auction contract and costs in full.
- Regularly instructed to conduct litigation and advisory work in various civil claims, including RTA and hire purchase disputes.
- Advised on a multi-million claim relating to the negligent refurbishment of bridges.
- Advised on professional negligence, contested probate and insolvency proceedings.
- Regularly instructed for both applicant and respondent in police-related hearings including SHPOs, SPOs and Closure Orders.
- Acted on behalf of local authorities and respondents in licensing proceedings. The most recent respondent Doug acted for received his licence back and the regulator was ordered to pay the entirety of his costs.
- Successfully opposed a planning appeal for an 80-bed care home following a two-day hearing. Further information can be found here (https://6pumpcourt.co.uk/care-home-planning-appeal-in-wokingham/ and https://6pumpcourt.co.uk/successful-resistance-of-care-home-planning-appeal/).
- Regularly appears and advises on planning enforcement cases for both local authorities and defendants.
- Advised on CIL liability for both residential and commercial properties, including CIL liability appeals.
- Regularly instructed to prosecute and defend in all types of criminal proceedings (for example, see https://6pumpcourt.co.uk/defendant-acquitted-of-four-counts-of-possessing-an-offensive-weapon-in-prison/).
- Successful in the Court of Appeal. Further information can be found here (https://6pumpcourt.co.uk/court-of-appeal-allow-appeal-against-sentence/).
- Experience representing defendants in private prosecutions and currently instructed to pursue a combined application to dismiss and abuse of process argument against a private prosecutor.
University of Sheffield, LLB (First Class)
CPS Grade 1
Attorney General’s Junior Barrister Scheme
- Criminal Bar Association
- Health & Safety Lawyers Association
- Planning and Environment Bar Association
- UK Environmental Law Association
- Food Law Group