Environment Act 2021: Text, Guide and Analysis: new book published
July 13, 2022
Christopher Badger is the co-author of a new book on the new Environment Act.
Entitled Environment Act 2021: Text, Guide and Analysis, the book reproduces the full text of the Act, and is accompanied by commentary and a section-by-section analysis written by Christopher Badger and Richard Macrory, two of the UK’s leading experts in environmental law.
The book comments on and analyses the main provisions of the Act, including:
- A requirement on government to establish long-term environmental targets and environmental improvement plans
- Legal recognition for the first time in national law of a number of core environmental principles, including the precautionary principle and the polluter pays principle;
- The establishment of a new independent statutory body, the Office for Environmental Protection;
- Substantial provisions on waste including producer responsibility and resource efficiency;
- Provisions on water resource management, water abstraction and drainage and sewerage;
- Strengthening of controls on air quality; and
- New provisions concerning the protection of nature and biodiversity, including the creation of conservation covenants.
The book is published by Bloomsbury Publishing and more details can be found here