Hiring & Firing Senior Executives – Conference – 21 September 2018
April 6, 2018
Mukhtiar Singh has teamed up with MBL seminars and leading employment practitioners to provide a conference examining the legal issues surrounding the effective hiring of senior executives and those relating to the termination of their employment. For more details and how to book click here
Hiring & Firing Senior Executives – Conference 21 September 2018 Central London
Mukhtiar will be speaking on two topics:
PROVIDING REFERENCES: CAN YOU REMAIN ON THE FENCE?
This session considers the desirability and sustainability of the widely used practice of providing neutral references. The Senior Managers and Certification Regime is intended to prevent “rolling bad apples” across the financial services industry and in 2019 (expected to be 10 December 2018 for insurers), the regime will be extended to all firms regulated or authorised under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.
The session will cover:
- What is a negligent reference? An overview of the common law.
- Exemptions to subject access requests: does the GDPR change things?
- Regulatory References: who has to provide them?
- The requirements of Regulator References
- Settlement Agreements: meeting the requirements and reaching agreement.
WHISTLEBLOWING: KEEPING TRACK OF THE CHANGES
There were numerous cases decided by the Court of Appeal last year, demonstrating that many aspects of whistleblowing law are far from settled. The session will provide an overview of the most significant cases as well as the effect of the Senior Managers and Certification Regime. It will cover:
- Does LLP law trump employment law?
- Is ignorance bliss? Iago cases.
- In the public interest with a self-interest. Chesterton Global Ltd v Nurmohamed: four factors.
- Other recent appellate cases
- Senior Managers and Certification Regime: SYSC 18